I feel pretty confident in saying I have an amazing job. I work with great people for a great cause, and I have so much fun everyday because I love what I do here. Deseret Book is such a unique company because everything we do is ultimately centered on one purpose- and that is to bring people closer to Christ. At my desk, I have a copy of the dedication President Henry B. Eyring gave when Deseret Book moved into the new corporate offices in 2009. Whenever I read through it, I feel an empowering sense of responsibility and opportunity to do some good in a scary world. Here are a few of my favorite lines from President Eyring’s address:
“Every person is born with the light of the spirit of Christ in them as they come from God into life…The moral darkness which seems to increase in the world is your opportunity. The tumultuous economic conditions which are here and will come again create great possibilities for you. Whatever offers light will be to the discerning eye more and more attractive.
Your opportunity lies in keeping faith that God is providing means to send His word to the millions who need it.
…Heavenly Father, the Savior, and the Holy Ghost—all together as one—have put you in a situation where you can have, I think, an effect in the lives of millions and tens of millions and hundreds of millions of people. I pray that we may rise to that possibility.”
If that doesn’t give you chills, this video definitely will:
It’s exciting to think that as members of the church the Lord is providing incredible means of sharing his message with people all over the world, but that it is our responsibility to utilize those tools. Although I am only one person, I want to do my small part in sharing that message, and thought it would be nice to share a little ‘wishlist’ of the amazing products Deseret Books offers:
1. For Times of Trouble– Elder Jeffrey R. Holland. This book is Elder Holland’s personal insight on the Psalms. I’ve ordered my copy and can’t wait for it to finally get here! Especially because there is a 2 hour Q&A type dvd with Elder Holland that comes with it.
2. A Prophet’s Voice– President Thomas S. Monson. Basically this is the ‘greatest hits’ of President Monson’s talks. They have autographed copies at the City Creek store, and my mom was SO EXCITED when she found the signature in her copy.
3. Noel: Carols of Christmas Past– Jenny Oaks Baker. I had never really bothered listening to Jenny Oaks Baker until I saw her perform live at the Salt Lake Time Out for Women event this year. It was AMAZING! She played my favorite hymn, “Come Thou Fount“, and since then, I’m a huge fan. I was so excited for this Christmas album to come out, and just bought her cd that is all Disney classic covers. Definitely look her songs up on youtube or something- so worth it.
4. Savoring the Seasons with Our Best Bites. These gals came out with another cookbook a few years back, but after spending quite a bit of time looking through this new book (I worked on a lot of the advertising for this project) I definitely think this book is worth trying out. Everything is divided by seasons so the recipes are super easy to pick out, and everything I’ve tried from the book has been delicious!
5. The Lower Lights. I love folksy music, so when a co-worker started playing these guys at work one day I was hooked. They have a Christmas album too which I was so excited about! Todd and I play it on Sundays since he can’t stand listening to the church music played over the radio. Look up their version of “There is a Green Hill Far Away” or “If You Could Hie to Kolob”, I seriously could play these over and over all day.
6. 17 Miracles. As any of my former young women can tell you, I love the movie 17 Miracles. I could always find a way to relate our lesson to something in the movie, so I was bringing it up a lot. I don’t think I every really felt connected to my pioneer ancestors until after I saw this film (I am a descendant of Ann Rowley, one of the pioneers featured in the movie). I even cried at the end- which any one that knows me knows that almost NEVER happens. 😉
7. Charms. These came out a few months back, and have turned out to be the perfect gift when I need something nice (and affordable) for someone. They just came out with a whole new line that I can’t wait to check out.
8. Glass Milk Bottles. This might seem like an out of place item to be sold at a bookstore, but DB has a wonderful line of random home decor products that I LOVE! (Zion’s Mercantile) There are so many little things, that I always find something new every time i’m at the store. I couldn’t find an image, but they have a beautiful tin type photo of the Salt Lake temple that I have had my eye on for weeks.
9. Beehive Jars. So perfect for any beekeeper!
10. Chapters of Hope Stuffed Animals. This is a cool program Deseret Book has going that will donate books to children all over the world that can’t afford to buy them themselves. I’m obsessed with these animals and bought the giraffe for our nursery as soon as I found out I was expecting. I also got them as Christmas gifts for my nephews. I hope they like them!
Well my ‘little’ post about how great a company I work for turned out a little longer than I planned. I’m so grateful I work here, and for all the things I have learned in my short year here. And here is a little treat for any reader- coupons! Please use, i promise it’ll be worth it!